Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi All, Just wondering , I recentl 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crwpulsar

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
IE
Hi All,
Just wondering , I recently changed to *nix OS but forgot to check what sort of modem I had..Neadless to say it was a HCF controllerless modem and the manufacturing has said that they will not be devoloping drivers for *nix as it is not viable.Anyway now I have 2000 pro but need some things which only work well on Red Hat so I have to move back. I have found the external modem i am gonna get but will have to get a PCI serial IO card.
Does anybody know if hooking a serial modem through a card will work ok or will i be wasting money!!
Thanks in Advance!
David

Why not just buy an internal that is supported? I run RedHat and Mandrake on several machines and generally just pick up a modem that is listed at:

I've had great success with those that are listed. I currently run a Lucent chipset in my laptop, and have had it working under RedHat since 7.0 (now 7.3 with every released kernel) and Mandrake 8.0 and 8.1.

If you really want to do the serial card (I'm not sure why you would have to because I haven't seen a motherboard with out a serial port in MANY years) then you should be OK as long as the serial card has a controller. I have used the Equinox cards under RedHat with some success.

I have also seen that there is USB modem support under RedHat as well. You might prefer one of these so you don't even have to open the case, and it isn't useless on your next computer.

Good luck!

pansophic

Why not just buy an internal that is supported? I run RedHat and Mandrake on several machines and generally just pick up a modem that is listed at:

I've had great success with those that are listed. I currently run a Lucent chipset in my laptop, and have had it working under RedHat since 7.0 (now 7.3 with every released kernel) and Mandrake 8.0 and 8.1.

If you really want to do the serial card (I'm not sure why you would have to because I haven't seen a motherboard with out a serial port in MANY years) then you should be OK as long as the serial card has a controller. I have used the Equinox cards under RedHat with some success.

I have also seen that there is USB modem support under RedHat as well. You might prefer one of these so you don't even have to open the case, and it isn't useless on your next computer.

Good luck!

pansophic

Thanks for the info Pansophic. I think il try and pick up one of those modems.
Is it true all Hayes Modems are compabible with Linux?
Any help much appreciated!
David

Not that I have seen. It may be true, but I just don't know.

Basically, if you have an internal PCI modem that doesn't have a PCI controller (generally called WinModems) then the controller is emulated in software on the CPU. A special driver must be written to perform that functionality, and almost no manufacturers write them for Linux.

If you find one that is supported on LinModems.org, then you are OK.
pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back