Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all i'm actually having the f

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noip

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
MU
Hi all

i'm actually having the following prob.:
mailbox cannot be created for any user
exchange virtual drive cannot be found
smtp server disappeared under server tree in site manager (but still running)
unexpected errors when opening status under 'Monitoring and Status' under Tools in site manager.

After no conclusive information for solving the prob, I decided that removing exchange completely and reinstalling all the stuff, that would solve... but same thing happen again after

I have browsed support.microsoft.com as well as MS tech-Net completely to find the above articles:
q260378; How to Manually Remove an Exchange 2000 Installation
and How to remove exchange completely from active directory

although following all necessary steps provided. The same probs. happen again after reinstalling exchange

I'm still left alone with my probs...
Anyone could help...

Specs:
win2k server sp3
Exchange2k sp3

Sorry for the subject line, I forget to include one.

What is your hardware setup? I've had a problem with an external RAID stack being unavailable in a clustered exchange setup which was due to the anti-virus software filtering all disk I/Os at a low level. Removing that sorted the problems out in that case.
What other software is on the exchange box?

Try checking into IIS. I know that when it had problems starting up its Public (I think?) virtual directory, you won't get the M-drive virtual mapping for Exchange, which then causes all kinds of problems. If IIS is having problems, it will most definitely trickle down to Exchange...

Not much help, sorry, but try there...and check your Even Viewer for errors (Exchange will definitely complain in there).

-Drew

IIS is working fine. But since Exchange (I think) should take care of the SMTP service after its installation, it is no more showing up in neither IIS nor in Ex. Sys. Manager.

My specs:

Hardware:
piv 1.8
3 IDE HDD
1 burner

Software:
Win2k server sp3
Exchange 2k sp3
ISA 2000
SQL server 7.0
NAV ce 7.6
Office2k
CuteFTP pro
and some other cool stuff..

Let's say you were in a similar situation guyz, what would be the best thing to do to get exchange running on my network.

Solutions that I'm considering:

Remove Exchange 2k and install Exchange 5.5
Set up a new box on the network for exchange 2k
Format c: (hahaha...) on my server

Thanx

I'd build a standalone Exch2K server that is part of the AD.
If Exchange breaks, you try telling the users that they cant access their files either!
Exch takes too long to rebuild if it goes down, so I'd recommend very strongly to have Exchange on a separate machine.

Just as a rule of thumb I use.. and maybe not a solution to your situation....

SCSI only at the server level, NOTHING else.

I would seperate the Exchange out to it's own box.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back