Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all. I'd really appreciate any h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Su513

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2002
GB
Hi all. I'd really appreciate any help you could give me with this! :eek:)

I'm running an NT 4 server, with the majority of clients running NT 4 WS. There are a few clients running 9x. We have an ADSL line coming in through a masquerading linux box.

There are two 98 machines that will not load web pages in IE. I've checked all the settings, gateways etc and they're fine, and I can ping external IPs from the machine. IE however will not open any pages at all.

There is another 98 machine on the network, and it runs IE fine.

This may sound like a fairly simple problem, but I've checked every single last setting on these machines several times, and tried pretty much everything I can think of. I refuse to fdisk a machine just in the hope of getting IE running!

Thanks

Susie

I have had the exact same problem with 3 computers
in the past. I never found a fix. The only thing
I could do was reload. Mind you, that doesn't mean
there isn't a fix. I just never found it.
I know this doesn't help you, but at least you
know you aren't alone. =o)

Larry

This is based on the assumption that IE 5.xx is correctly installed.

What happens if a simple HTML file is saved in a globally accessable area on the NT server, can ALL the W98 clients open that correctly ?

Have you (in desperation) re-installed IE 5.xx or IE 6 ?

Have you tried another browser, such as a simple one like Opera ? What happens then ? Does that open internal and external HTML files ?

HTH

PEte...

If you have one Win98 client working OK and two others not working, I would say the answer is there,check the settings on the good PC and set up the others the same
I use a similar whistle box on a small network and all it requires is [the win98 clients]to be setup with a default gateway IP, I have seen others that need clients to be setup to look to a proxy server with a port number
Sometimes removing the TCP/IP protocol and re-installing works

Sounds to me like the winsock, winsock2 and remote access registry entries, along with Dial-up Networking, is corrupt. Start by going to the control panel, add/remove programs, then windows components, communications, uncheck all components but do not reboot. Reboot here if you don't want to mess with the registry...Click Start and then run. Type 'regedit' without quotes; backup the registry. Open HKEY Local Machine, then System, CurrentControlSet, Services and then locate the winsock, winsock2 and remote access folders. Rename these three. Reboot, then follow the instructions above to reinstall the dial-up networking. Reboot again. Problem should be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back