Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all I have a problem, not a maj

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielKBates

Technical User
Sep 14, 2001
GB
Hi all
I have a problem, not a major problem just a matter of tidying up. I created a folder to test my backup tapes were working and restored to it. The problem is that now I can delete the folders within this new folder but i am getting the error message :

Error deleting file or folder

Cannot remove folder
System volume information: Access is denied. the sorce file may be in use.

I know that its a system file and thats why it wont let me delete but it shouldnt be in use (its a restored backup). I've now got a folder in the middle of my desktop which i cant delete.

Any ideas?

Regards
Dan

Have you tried to boot in safe mode and delete it ?

TiriPon

try rebooting, then logging on as someone else,(with admin privs) then deleting it from 'desktop' in the other profile.

Jon. ----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

Thankyou for your replies.

I hadnt tried these methods but i've tried them and neither were successful.

I rebooted in safe mode (without networking) and tried deleting it but it wouldnt have it (i got the same message). I noticed theres a number of ways to reboot in safe mode i.e with or without networking, command prompt etc. I wouldnt have the first clue about deleting it from command prompt though.

I tried logging on through another administrators account and then tried to delete it. ( i got the same message)

Is it anything to do with logging on to the domain?

Any other ideas? I guess i wont mess about in future.

Dan

try a defrag/scandisk....

or copy the users profile, then delete the old one...
when the user logs back on, it should create a new profile, without the file :)

To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)

Thanks again for your reply

Sorry to sound stupid but how do i copy a users profile.

I'm new to this , hence why i was trying stuff in the first place.

Regards
Dan

look in c:\documents and settings and find the user name/folder/profile... provided you're not logged on as this user, just rename the folder..then log on as that user..the logon process should recreate the folder structure as if for a new user :)

To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)

Thanks, but it still wont have it.

The offending folder is under my administrator name. I logged on under another administrator name, found the other user in documents and settings and tried to rename it. I got the message sharing violation NTUSER. I get the same error message when i try to copy it too. I cant rename it and cant delete it either.

Regards
DAn

have you tried taking ownership of the files on the desktop? Also make sure the files are not used(open) in any other place.

Thanks Otto1. I took ownership of the file and i've managed to delete it.

Thanks to the rest also for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back