Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all I have a portable which I

Status
Not open for further replies.

evoroel

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2003
BE
Hi all

I have a portable which I use both at work and home. At work we have a windows (2000) domain.

How do I setup an account which I can use both at home and work?

If I logon using my domain username at home I have to wait about 30 seconds before the system logs on. Can I decrease this timeout?

Where can I find more information on windows/domain/portable settings and configurations?

Tnx
Roel

You can set up an account that logs into the computer itself. The next time you log in, click the down arrow next to the domain you are logging into. It does give you the option of logging into the local computer. To do this, you firstmust be logged in as an administrator on the local computer and create this local account. Even though your domain account may not have administrator priveledges on the domain, it still may have local administrative priveledges. Right click my computer and select manage. Go to local users and groups. Create a local user account and make it a member of the local groups you wish it to be in. You can use this account to log in locally.

Here's the glitch... Even if you give it the same username as your domain account, it will still be a different account because it is local. That means it will have it's own desktop settings, icons, etc. To correct this, you need to set the profile path to the path used by your domain account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back