Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi..after a crash of the server (wi

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfede

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2002
IT
Hi..after a crash of the server (win2000,exch2000) we've started the server with another HD and copy on it the Mdbdata folder.
Reinstalled Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 Server.
Now we're trying to mount the mailbox store (Priv1.edb 5 GB) but we receive this error:

The database files in this storage is incosistent.

So, following the MS article n. 327156:
Eseutil.exe says that we have a "Dirty shutdown" database
"Eseutil /p" remains in "stand by" on "repair damaged database" step at 90% (the day after was still at 90%).

Any suggestion will be ver very appreciated....
Thanks in advanve to everybody.

Freddy

thats the only thing you can do, kill it and retry it,
I had the same thing happen server crashed and caused an inconsistent database, the process to repair it is to use eseutil /p databasename.edb and then (if its under 16gb max for standard) run ISINTG /FIX to check the integrity of the database.(there are two other parameters but I forget what they are)

eseutil repairs that database at the page level. The length of time it takes depends on:

1. Storage
2. Amount and type of damage

It's much faster on local storage than on a network drive. Also remember that you'll need space available on the order of 110% the size of your data base.

After you run eseutil /p, you should run ininteg -pri -fix -test alltests. How many times? You should run it until there are no new fixes on the last pass. Depending on the extent of the damage, you may still see errors or warnings even though there are no more fixes. If your database still has errors or warnings, and you're running enterprise, you should mount a new store and move all the mailboxes to it.

If you're not running enterprise, this can be a problem. Ontrack makes a utility called power controls that can extract data from an offline store, dead or alive. This may also be an option for you. You can use this utility to:

1. extract what can be extracted to pst files.
2. mount a new store.
3. import the psts into the new database.

John
MOSMWNMTK

Hi,
we decided to pay 303 Euros to have support direct from Microsoft.
We filled and faxed the request form (payment with credit card required !!).
After 2 hours Microsoft called me to analized (solve) the problem.
At the beginning the Lady was enough optimist.
Unfortunately she started to ask me to do the same steps that I've already done.
At the end we still tried together run th eseutil /p,it still stopped at 90%.
She said that the DB was very corrupted because the eseutil did not finish.
She said also that her support call would have been free because we had already done the exact and possible procedure.
So... thanks to everybody for your suggestions.
Here in Italy we say "Sbagliando si impara" (we learn by our mistakes).
I think that the MS Outlook "synchronization" with a local .ost files is the most simple thing to do, not only for the notebooks but also for the workstations.
And then backups backups backups ...
Bye.
Freddy with simpathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back