Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hey RAS Gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydny

MIS
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have configured RAS on a Windows 2000 server which is also a WINS server for my network. I just want to be able to dial in remotely over a phone line in order to remote control this server. I have RAS set up to assign the incoming connections with a TCP/IP address from DHCP. I am able to dial up and connect to this server and I am assigned a DHCP address from my scope. The problem is that the DHCP address that is being assigned to the incoming connection is registering itself in the WINS and DNS databases and this is messing up WINS and DNS on the server and on the network. After disconnecting from the RAS connection, the WINS Server would not respond to a ping at its address 198.210.200.206, but it replyed to 198.210.200.73 which was the DHCP address that the RAS server issued. What am I doing wrong? Should I be using static addresses for the server and RAS clients? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back