Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hewlett Packard Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompDelTechStu

Technical User
Dec 13, 2000
US
My neighbor down the hall has a Hewlett Packard Desktop 600Mhz, 128 meg memory. He runs AutoCad 2000 with no problem and some other problems for an example but on occation the PC will shut itself off with no warnings and will leave the power supply on but will not respond. Have called HP and they had some drivers to download but that seems to not help. Some help here? Win 98 for OS. PC doesn't have to be working at all to do it. Can shut off with no problems and it is intermidiate happening.

Worth checking .Check your power management settings under settings control panel . Check that power management is not set to go into snooze mode zzz zzz zzz after a certain time of no use .

What happens on reboot? And how does he get to reboot? Is it a clean shutdown?
Suspect the processor quits working. Heat, or connection, or power supply.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I have checked the setting and they are all set for not turning off. The other answer is that of the reboot. The only way to reboot is CTRL-ALT-DEL. When everything comes back it is just the way it was when it was shut down. I have done some clean shutdowns but its the same as the C-A-D. He rarely lets the PC run over night and it was set for Stand By but I have that turned off. Still everything still seems to shut itself off.

you've at least answered one question. Processor is still running. when you reboot with c/a/d keys do you get anything other than reboot? No task manager screen.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

No I do not get anything else on the screen. Just a reboot of the system back to Win 98.

I'm out of ideas then. If this was a halted system the reboot should show errors when it comes back up. If it was a reboot you should get some bios splashes. So you are in the middle somewhere, all the processes have halted normally, or your reboot isn't a true reboot. Sounds more like taskmanager is screwed up and is not reporting correctly. Best of luck, sounds like fun. I'll be following the thread.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Well if it is the task manager how can that be fixed or replaced? Again I'm willing to try most everything with what I know on a computer. Thanks again for the help.

If it wasn't HP I'd reload the OS. But HP has all this stuff on the cdrom that brings the system back to factory specs and crashes out your applications and data. Or at least earlier versions did. So I have nothing to offer but prayers.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

hi

try this option may be it will help u

as u said u checked the powe profile in control panel all is on never ok

then goto regedit

run it from run on startupmenu

double click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
then click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
then HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

remove the "load power profile"
go down to "run services"