Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hewlett Packard HP LaserJet 1200 Found New Hardware message 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace1974

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2001
US
It's a Windows 2000 machine on a Windows 2000 network. I have installed an HP Laserjet 1200 printer with drivers and it works like normal. It uses parallel cable. When I restart the PC a promt comes up saying Found New Hardware Hewlett Packard HP Laserjet 1200 and it happens everytime I boot up the PC. Then a message Digital Signature Not Found HP Dot4 USB Device appears. Then another message asking for the printer CD comes up. When I check the Device Manager I see a usb icon -HP Dot 4 Device and when I expand it I see -Hewlett Packard HP LaserJet 1200. The printer works fine but evertime I boot up the PC the Found New Hardware prompt comes up and I wanted to know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Remove the printer and all remnants of it from Device Manager. (Use the removal wizard and be sure to select hidden devices.) If you are not using any USB devices, remove all the DOT4 stuff too as well as the USB. Power down the system and restart without the printer attached. The system will rebuild the USB part. Then install the printer following the manufacturers instructions. Be sure to specify that the printer is on your LPT port and not a USB port, if given the option.

Good luck.

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back