Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(Here we go again) VPN Between Cisco 891W and Sonicwall TZ190 Enhanced

Status
Not open for further replies.

indy1979

MIS
Jun 23, 2011
US
I have a client that has 5 remote sites that connect back to the main office.

Remote sites now have new Cisco 891Ws. All but 1 of them receive addressing via DHCP (DSL).
Main site has the Sonicwall TZ190 Enhanced. 5 static addresses.

I have successfully configured the VPNs and gotten them connected back to the main site. The only way I knew how to accomplish this was to plug in the currently leased address in to the Sonicwall so that it would know which profile to use when establishing the SAs. Problem occurs when the address changes.

I have configured the Cisco side with 2 crypto map policies, 1 that matches the actual Sonicwall profile and a second that matches the WAN GroupVPN proposals so that when the address does change, they will still have 1 way connectivity back to the servers. But they lose the ability to print because something with the logic of the GroupVPN won't allow traffic originating from within the fire walled subnets to send traffic to clients connected via GroupVPN... I'm guessing it has to do with stateful packet inspection.

When I was setting this up in a lab, I was trying different things to get the Cisco to identify itself with something other than the IP address, but could never get it to work. Either the Cisco would fail to send the proper identifier or the Sonicwall was ignoring it and looking only at the incoming IP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to try and get this resolved so I don't have to check in on the Sonicwall every morning.

Sample config below, all sites are the same.

Code:
!
crypto isakmp policy 10
 encr 3des
 authentication pre-share
 group 2
 lifetime 28800
crypto isakmp key <removed for security> address <removed for security>   
!
!
crypto ipsec transform-set PONCE_TRANSFORM esp-3des esp-sha-hmac 
!
!
!
crypto map BARNESVPN 1 ipsec-isakmp 
 description Tunnel to Ponce
 set peer <removed for security>
 set security-association lifetime kilobytes disable
 set security-association lifetime seconds 86400
 set transform-set PONCE_TRANSFORM 
 set pfs group2
 match address 150
crypto map BARNESVPN 2 ipsec-isakmp 
 description Backup Tunnel to Ponce with GroupVPN
 set peer <removed for security>
 set security-association lifetime kilobytes disable
 set security-association lifetime seconds 28800
 set transform-set PONCE_TRANSFORM 
 match address 150

What i think it would help you is the use of Cisco Embedded Event Manager on you router which is supported.

This will allow you to detect the failure with in the VPN connecting and then send a reset for the VPN so it can immediately reestablished in case of lost of communications between the inside networks.

This feature make the router to behave more intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back