Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Here is my problem it seems as if i

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin4

Programmer
Aug 1, 2002
CA
Here is my problem it seems as if it should be easy, but I haven’t been able to figure it out:

I have two tables, and a link table between them. It is a one to many relationship. I try to display them in a report, but it shows the data on different lines, and I need it together on one line.

To clarify, this is the details of it:

Table RadioStations
one column radioStations
one column ID

table location
one column cities
one column city ID.

a link table
linking the cityID with the RadioStationID.

There can be up to five radio stations per city and I need it displayed something similar to this:
Toronto: CKNW / CKKK / CFPL etc.

If anyone could help me I would be very appreciative, since I need to have this project completed before the weekend and I have no idea how I am going to do it.

I have used headers but that puts it on two different lines.....what about IIF functions? I can expect anything and everything of myself;
But can only accept or reject what you have to offer!

Thanks for the reply Namsha. I have also tried headers and IIF statements (I've tried just about everything actually) and nothing works, IIF statements I cant write a proper one, and headers still create multiple lines. If anyone knows what kind of an IIF statement i should write, that would be great because it could work if I was smart enough to write one.

I think this is a typical problem with one to many relationships and access reports, I dont know why there arent more posts on the topic.

Search Access help for multi-column reports.
Set the column layout to "Across, then Down"
Group by City
Go to the city header properties and set "New row or col" to "Before Section"

Try the function below (change the table/field names if necessary):

Function ColumnToLine(argCityID)
On Error GoTo ErrInFunction
Dim myRs As DAO.Recordset
Dim ResultString As String
Set myRs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Select RadioStations.RadioStations From RadioStations Inner Join LinkTable On RadioStations.RadioStationsID = LinkTable.RadioStationsID Where LinkTable.CityID = " & argCityID & ";")
If myRs.RecordCount > 0 Then
Do Until myRs.EOF
ColumnToLine = ColumnToLine & IIf(Len(ColumnToLine) = 0, "", "/") & myRs("RadioStations")
myRs.MoveNext
Loop
End If
FinishPoint:
On Error Resume Next
myRs.Close
Set myrs=Nothing
Exit Function
ErrInFunction:
ColumnToLine = "Error: " & Err.Description
Resume FinishPoint
Exit Function
End Function

HTH,
Dan

I got it :)

I managed to get it working, it was something similar to what Dan was doing. Incase anyone with a similar problem finds these posts, you should read "Q141624 - ACC How to Concatenate a List of Items from a Many-Side Table" in the microsoft knowledge base, I found it really helpful.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back