Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Henzenwerke books, what's up with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmusicant

Programmer
Mar 29, 2005
US
I have quite a few of them and have downloaded only a little. So, one of my NY resolutions is to download everything, the source code, errata, ebooks. I have a login from long ago when I ordered a bushel of books. But when I go to the site I see this:
-----------------------------------------
Hentzenwerke downloads

Download source code and ebooks for Hentzenwerke books

Most Hentzenwerke books come with either source code files, ebook version, or both. (The catalog page for each book describes which files are available for that particular book.)

Download here. <------
-----------------------------------------

I haven't been given the opportunity at this point to identify which book I want to download for. There's nowhere I can login, I figure maybe I'll have to maybe not, I know they ask you a question to ensure that you have a particular book in hand by asking you what's on page 465 or similar. However when I click "Download here" I am pushed to the following URL:

That URL bombs in every browser on every computer I've tried. I sent them an email with complete details about the error messages I got in two browsers (including IE) and the response (from Whil? It was his email address but the answerer did not ID themselves) was: "Which books are you looking for? "

My reply was a whole bunch (I rattled off several titles), haven't heard back from them. This is not very professional. They crack up their website to look very legit, but I have to wonder if it's all gone to weeds there. What's up with this?

I could get to the site if I dropped the https://

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are not good for you.

I could get to the site if I dropped the https://

I tried that as well. It worked for the main part of the site, but not for the login page. With the I got "SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.". Without it, I got a 404.

Dan, maybe you should just try emailing him to report the website error, not mentioning anything about an order for books (or maybe you have already done that?)

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I also see that the link to the login page (or the login page itself) is broken. What normally happens is that you login with the appropriate credentials and then you get an email with links for downloads for any books you own.

Understand that Hentzenwerke is Whil and only Whil, and that it stopped being a serious revenue producer many years ago.

I'll shoot him an email about the problem with the site. I'm sure he'll get back to you soon.

Tamar

<---- Doesn't work either. Whil emailed me again and asked what books I have and I said I have a lot and I'd just as soon wait until the DL system is functional again because I want more than just the ebooks, I want source code, errata, want to see what's posted as available. I have around 9-10 of the books.

I have a question and I know that Tamar can speak to this, others as well. I bought the Hacker's Guide to VFP 6.0 way back when it was the latest version. I didn't get the VFP 7 version of the book but do have What's New in 7, 8 and 9. Is there much that the Hacker's Guide to VFP 7 offers that I'm missing?

I do have the 1001 and 1002 things books! Also, the one on the report writer and debugging VFP applications. Maybe something else, too.

I think what you may be missing most from HackFox 7 is bugs. That is, knowing what got fixed and what got introduced.

And, of course, not having the detailed reference entries for all the new stuff in VFP 7. There's actually quite a lot of it.

Tamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back