Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helpful hints needed. XP downgrade to 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

missangie

Technical User
Nov 3, 2002
I just got a new piece of equipment at work that requires windows 2000 to run it. My computer is an XP system so I need to downgrade to Win 2000. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I'm assuming I will need to get all new drivers but if anyone could share there experiences I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Missangie
to be backward compatable,you will have to delete the partition "XP" has been set up on.I think from memory that the ntfs systems are a different version in each OS.
Use you system setup disk for xp to get you into the window where you can delete the partition.
make sure you back up any files you wish to keep as once the partition is deleted everything is wiped off the hdd.

Then you can run 2k setup disk to install the 2k system.
of course you will have to reinstall all your programs again.(just had to do 2k to 2k )again what a job.
check the sound and video card and download the latest drivers. Pay to have em on hand incase you need them.
John.

Option 2 would be to use partition magic to create another partition, then hide your XP partition and use boot magic to install W2K on your new partition - worked for me

Have you tried the hardware with the xp operating system usually it works for bother os's or the easier way would be to get the drivers

You need to get the Windows 98SE bootdisk and start your PC with the disk in the floppy drive. Let the disk do its work and when the DOS prompt comes up, you type 'fdisk.' You need to go in and delete a non-DOS partition. You need to delete the Windows XP partition and create a new primary partition.

Restart your PC and go into the BIOS. In the BIOS, set your CD-ROM drive as your first boot priority. Put the Windows 2000 disc in the CD-ROM drive and manually restart your PC. The Windows 2000 disc autorun should pick up and it will guide you through the whole installation process.

As far as the drivers, you need to see the manufacturers of your hardware and go to their website to download the current Windows 2000 drivers. Yes, some of the XP drivers will work with Windows 2000, but that is not the case with most.

If you have anymore installation problems, just let me know.

You can download a program to make a Windows 98SE boot disk from this website.

Trashing XP is the best thing you could ever do to a pc...but I agree.....just make a new partition and put 2k as primary. Keep XP in case you ever want to play etch-a-sketch.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Well, the deed is done, I'm now running 2000. Except for an issue with my sound card (I have no sound) it went really well. I dumped xp completey, I didn't feel I had the expertise to run both. Thanks for the help!

Now to figure out the sound issue.... Wish me luck
Angie

Congrats.....Welcome back to the real world of computing. Now then...for your sound card problem....try running a diagnostic such as AIDA: or "Sysoft Sandra". They will tell you what drivers you need and even give you direct links for them.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back