Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helpdesk Backlog Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeyboy126

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I have a helpdesk data base which contains the following fields:

Ref
Open Date (dd/mm/yyyy 00:00)
Closed Date (dd/mm/yyyy 00:00)
Status (open, resolved etc)

I am looking to produce a report that will display all working days in a week rolling (M-F) and tell me what the backlog was on each date (for trending). Backlog would be how many calls were opened on that day + existing open calls – closed calls. Due to my limited experience and knowledge, I can only do this for a specific individual date.

In my mind, the calculation would have to be reversed engineered from the current backlog (when the report is run) but I may have this wrong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or help with this formula?

Any help much appreciated...

I think you need a 'mock crosstab', a collection of running totals using different rules. You can get the current date as Currentdate, yesterday as Currentdate-1 etc.

To avoid weekends you can check the day of the week, that's
Code:
DatePart ("w", {date1})
Put this as a formula field and it gives a number, 1 to 7. The default is Sunday as 1 and Saturday as 7, though you can change this using firstDayOfWeek

An alternative is to do a set of subreports, which will take a lot more processor time but will allow you to use Crystal's automatic totalling. The use of Crystal totals is outlined at FAQ767-6524.

It helps to give your Crystal version - 8, 8.5, 9, 10, 11 or whatever. Methods sometimes change between versions, and higher versions have extra options.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back