Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerdeNoms

Technical User
Nov 17, 2004
US
New to PageMill, trying to help my company who has just lost a computer guy.

We have a network with a Welcome screen with common forms and files that all employees can access on their computers. When they open the screen there's a list of links, when clicking on the link I would like the resulting site to open in the same browser instead of a new one.

Also, a link is linked to a .pdf file that is also located on the computers but when you click on the link it does the whole 'page cannot be displayed' bit. Maybe the 'link to:' is messed up - I'm not sure.

Anything would be useful, thanks.

Hi, MerdeNoms,

PageMill is old - very old - and unless your Welcome page is very basic, I would urge you use a more sophisticated editor which complies with the latest HTML specifications. You may well find that if you open the Welcome page in PageMill and re-save it, the code which PML does not recognise will be altered in some way.

when clicking on the link I would like the resulting site to open in the same browser instead of a new one.

If this a simple HTML link, then you can easily edit the code in Notepad - see here for the syntax:

Code:
You probably need to change

<A target="new" HREF="URL">linktext</A> or
<A target="_blank" HREF="URL">linktext</A>

to

<A HREF="URL">linktext</A>

Also, a link is linked to a .pdf file that is also located on the computers but when you click on the link it does the whole 'page cannot be displayed' bit. Maybe the 'link to:' is messed up - I'm not sure.

The code is identical to anchor syntax described above. e.g.

You will also need to have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat installed and associated with the PDF suffix on every computer.

Make sure you have backups of any pages before you edit them.

Iechyd da! John.
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

John, thanks. I figured out how to change the link to the .pdf and now that file works.

I didn't even know PageMill existed until yesterday when I was asked to help on this.. I'm a senior in high school and interning at this company so it's not like I can just purchase new programs. The page is very basic, just links and .pdf files.

My only problem is now getting the list of links table and the rest of the information side-by-side on a page together. In Page Mill it doesn't allow me to put text next to a table, only under it. I'm sure there is a way to do so by altering the source code, but I don't know that much HTML to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back