Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Systemcrasher

Technical User
Jul 11, 2000
US
2 days ago I had a cable modem installed. I have a AMD700,128MB RAM,5GB Hard Drive,FIC motherboard. Shortly after I had my new modem installed I tried to shut my PC down. I received the dreaded "FATAL OE exception error", thinking it was nothing I continued to shut down. Now the PC will start (power and running), but Win98 will not boot up unless I completely turn off the power to my PC and turn it back on! Once up and running I have no problems. I cant contact the manufacturer because there are ten, Microsoft (hee hee are you kidding?), Comcast says its a OS problem, Microsoft insists its a Comcast problem, the installation team insists they don't know, and my PC tech says its AOL (I still have AOL5.0 on my PC)!!!! Can someone PLEASE help me...<br>Michael

Hello<br><br>As linz had said...try and update the drivers.&nbsp;&nbsp;If that doesn't work I would suggest to disable the modem and\or the com port in Control Panel\System\Device Manager so you could try and see if it is your operating system that is causing the error or the modem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Another thing that you might want to try even before that is to go to Start\Run and type in &quot;hwinfo /ui&quot;, without the quotes and see if anything is in red.&nbsp;&nbsp;If it is in red there may be a conflict.<br><br>Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back