Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitsol

Technical User
Jul 19, 2004
GB
Hi
I've tried this in the USR forum but to no avail.

I can't get VPN working with my USR9106 router. I've forwarded so many ports I'm confused.

Can ANYONE help???????

Thanks

where is the router located ?
are you trying to do VPN through the router,
towards the router, ...

what type of VPN are you trying to do ? pptp ? ipsec ?
is the router doing NAT ?

I will need more info in order to be able to help you out

--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

My router (a USR 9106) is a broadband modem/router/hub and connected directly to my broadband connection. From that I have a home network of 6 computers.

On one of the computers (with a fixed IP) I have set up the windows XP VPN option to accept connections.

I've forwarded all the suggested ports I've seen that relate to VPN but still no connection when I try to connect using one of the other computers on the net, asking my friend to try from another location or using one of the other computers and a separate dial up account

hope this helps you to help me

thanks

you are using PPTP ?
Have you forwarded tcp 1723 and also GRE (ip protocol 47) ?
If you forget about GRE (and please pay attention, it's not a port, but a protocol); then it won't work

How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?

I don't know whether I'm using PPTP or not to be honest, its just an XP wizard to set up. I have forwarded 1723 and other ports associated with vpn as defined by my router.

I have forwarded port 47 but as you say if this is a protocol I'm stuck as to how to do that

Thanks

it's possible that your router doesn't support it... maybe you should check with the router manual or vendor website

not much help there I'm afraid.......the manual is about as useful as a chocolate teapot and the support email probably gets directed to the bin!

I take it that if the router doesn't have an admin section for this protocol then it doesnt support it?? In other words it cant be done using ports at all??????

Do you know of a router/hub/broadband modem that does support vpn?

thanks

I've just read somewhere that I should be able to do a vpn 'passthrough'..............is this something that doesn't relate to this GRE?????????

thanks

this might help........on the router I have the following under 'security'
ip filtering, inbound and outbound
virtual servers
port triggering
dmz host upnp

this also might help.....

according to the usr site it has support for vpn networks????????!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?

I'm really going mad.....help!!!

I guess this has everyone stumped then!

yep...
make sure the router has the latest firmware

any chance I can poke around on your router ?
can you send me the public IP address
(xxpvec at_ imperial _dot_ be)

You might need to allow tcp through the firewall as well as forwarding to a specific ip address. This section of your router is probably also where you will also find GRE mentioned. Keep persevering - it will work. I looked up your router and I'm sure it's just fine. I had similar doubts about a Zyxel but of course the problem is that if you don't get a connection it's very hard to progress and you begin to question your sanity.

So to summarise, forward the one port 1723 to the correct internal IP address and then in the firewall (WAN to LAN), allow 1723 and also the GRE protocol (sometimes called PPTP Tunnel).

Finally, make your router issue DHCP IP addresses in a subnet that will be different from where you will be trying to access it from. I suggest something in the 10.x.y.z range choosing random x and y but maybe with z = 1 for at least some convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back