Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! XP Pro Does Not Like My Sound Card!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5BLT

Technical User
Apr 27, 2002
US
I recently upgraded from 98SE to XP Pro. When I did so, for some strange reason, XP would not allow the installation until I removed my sound card. When I did, XP installed nicely.

Now, I'm without a sound card. If I shut down and install the card now and then reboot, I get the same error that basically says that my sound card is not compatable with my mother board. That sounds insane to me because in 98SE, it worked fine.

Any suggestions?

Bob

Perhaps you could check your preparation for the Upgrade with these articles. See what it says about Bios updates and checking for latest drivers.

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade

316639 - HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP

There are also several Setup Error logs (such as Setupapi.log) in your Windows Folder which might have useful information in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back