Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Win Modem needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpandexBobcat

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
GB
Hi there folks,

I am trying to get my girlfriends, grandmothers PC working properly again and am beginning to loose my rag!!!

It's a P1 64Mb RAM pc with a Win Lucent 1648C-TV5 modem which used to work!

The PC is quite old (D plug on the mouse and everything...) and previously had Win95 on but I have upgraded it to Win98se for increased functionality. Unfortunately on doing so the sound card stopped working so I have changed that for a different one and the Modem is also playing up!

I have the most up-to-date driver, there are no conflicts when looking in Device manager, I have rcently uninstalled and re-installed Dial up manager but it still won't connect.

It dials up, I hear it scream away, connect to remote computer, it then gives me the "I'm going to connect you" eyes whilst verify username and password for about 30 secs, then promptly hangs up saying the other computer didn't respond! I mean COME ON!!! The cheek of it!

A friend suggested to look into the IRQ's but I haven't done much work on them before so would need a bit of assistance if I go down that road... They are currently set to automatic.

Basically what the hell should I do? What suggestions do you have? All help will be greatly appreciated.

Simon

"A picture is not worth a 1000 words on the Internet. The information is in the text."

Hyperterminal to each of these numbers (start, run hypertrm.exe)

1-800-543-3279

1-888-296-3892

Do each, one at a time. You should get a sign on screen.
Don't stay connected, its 10 cents a minute. These are at&t lines, post the results, I'll have a better idea of whats going on.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back