Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with VPN setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cydud3

IS-IT--Management
Dec 21, 2004
KE
First of all, I have very limited experience with Cisco. So, I need help with the following:

A company has 2 buildings that are geographically far from each other so they want to link them using VPN. They have also acquired 2 Cisco 831 Router to accomplish this.

I have an idea on how to set up VPDN but as far as I know, that only involves some person "dialing" in...it is not a persistent connection between the two buildings. Now, our aDSL ISP have provided us with several information like tunnel IP, tunnel source, tunnel destination, and others. I have no idea where to plug this in to Cisco to make it work.

I hope somebody here with a vast experience in this will be able to help. Thank you. I may be able to provide more info if needed.

2B||!2B

What you need to do is configure an IPSec LAN-to-LAN tunnel between the two sites. All you need from your ISP is Internet connectivity, public IP addresses on both sites and make sure they don't block UDP port 500 and IP protocol 50 (ESP). If these conditions are met then you can establish the LAN-to-LAN IPSec tunnel. The link below is an excellent guideline for this task:

Thanks for the link. Is there any way, I can get a line by line command list that I need to issue in order to do the confirmation?

Also, do I need some kind of VPN concentrator to provide IPSec functionality? As I said, I don't have much experience in these things.

2B||!2B

I just read my last post and it didn't sound right. Sorry...I meant to say "is there a line by line command list I need to issue to the router in order to do this configuration".

2B||!2B

The link I provided you explains the step needed to configure a LAN-to-LAN tunnel, the commands are bolded.
You don't need a VPN 3000 Concentrator to configure a VPN but you need an IOS image supporting IPSec, the feature set should have the keywords "IPSEC DES" or "IPSEC 3DES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back