Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with VPN network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjakers

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2003
US
I have a VPN server running W2K Server with two network adapters and two IPs, one public and one private.
Dear Experts,

I am able to establish a vpn connection (PPTP) from home with my XP machine(which is in my local workgroup at home) and ping the VPN server but I am unable to see any other resources on my WORK private network.

Any suggestions and/or what other info do you need for diagnosis...

Thank you,

Jake Rehmann

Now I am able to see the other computers and resources on my network but I cannot access them. I receive and error which reads: "\\ComputerName is not accessible. Network path was not found."

I currently have NAT and DHCP Relay Agent running on my VPN server under IP Routing...are there some modifications to the settings I can make to gain access to my Work Network?

Please Help...mattwray are you on today>?

I may be barking up the wrong tree here madjakers but I got my VPN working with NAT by re-directing ports
UDP 137 & 138
TCP 139 & 1723
of my NAT'd router to the VPN server.
Also I enabled NetBios over TCP/IP on the server and clients
Then I changed my workgroup to match that of the server.

After all that I found that the server was on the same LAN ip as the clients modem/router (both 192.168.0.1) so I changed the client's modem/router LAN address to 192.168.0.0 and then everything worked (Well I could do everything via My Network Places but couldn't ping the server anymore even though I could use all of its shares now and it could use my client's printers).

A don't know much about VPN and networking so if you are using domains (I can't tell from what you have posted) then I would presume you know much more than me and some of this would be obvious.

I got most of this info from so I hope the site helps you if my adaptation is not good enough.

Ralph.

Thanks RalphG1 but I think I erroneously installed NAT on my VPN server...and I am running a domain at work...hmmm

What do I need to do to access the computers on my domain on my private work LAN? I successfully create a VPN connection from my home pc to my vpn server at work and can see my domain but i cannot access anything...

Please help...
-Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back