Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with using exchnge as smtp server??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MungBean

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2003
NL
Hi all,

I am having some trouble with getting mail to send when using outlook express but specifying the exchange server as the smtp server.

I need to do this as a test as someone needs to use their external account in house and I know this can be done as I used to use it like this at a previous company. But whenever I try to send to most email address, it gives me the mailexchange error that the recipient is not recognised. Although I know these address's to be correct. what is odd is that it works when I try to send to one of my own external accounts, but only one, the rest come back with this unknown recipient error..!!!

I know this is probably something silly I am forgetting to do, but it is really annoying :)

Any help would be appreciated..!!!!

Is there a setting within exchange 5.5 to allow normal pop accounts setup in outlook express to send out mail using the exchange server as the smtp???? cause I cant find it..!!!

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Do you have a firewall in place that could be blocking POP or SMTP ports?

When I setup outlook express for my exchange servers, on the server tab under mail account settings, I check "My server requires authentication" for Outgoing mail server.

Thanks for your reply, but I have already tried this but the server is set up to not use authentication so that should be fine.

The odd thing is, if i send to an address in the global address book from outlook express then it goes through fine, but if i try and send to an external address gives me unknown recipient error.

If I send to an address that wont work, I can add the address as a custom recipient within exchange and then its in the global address book it sends no problem..!!!!

Grrrrrr exchange :)

In the Exchange Admin, under the IMS connector, Routing tab, have you selected the `Reroute incoming SMTP mail' option? I believe this must be done, as it indicates, to allow mail for POP3/IMAP4 support, which is Outlook Express

Hiya matey :)

Yeah I found that took a bit of reading but I had already got there. Also made sure to set it up correctly as didn't want an open relay server :)

thanks for your reply though man, its appreciated. I am quite new to actually running admin on exchange, but being thrown in the deep end i am learning quick..!!!!

How did you ever fix this problem?

I just recently switched my Exchange 5.5 sever from ISDN to a cable internet connection, and now everyone gets the same errors you were getting, i.e., "unknown recipient error" and the 550 message about relaying not allowed.

The change in ISPs has cuased some type of problem; any ideas?

Sounds like DNS is not resolving whatever has been configured as your inbound and outbound server connections within the Outlook Express configuration. Check your local client and ensure that DNS resolution for the mail server names is occurring correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back