Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with understanding the concept of connecting an MS Access database to a mobile device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juddymar58

Programmer
Nov 15, 2011
AU
Hi, please bear with me I have been googling and I'm still trying to get my head around the best method of having a mobile device (ipad/android tablet) communicate remotely with an ms access database.
At this point I'm only after a high level understanding and just need to know if I'm on the correct path.

As a starting point I would just like to be able to add/edit/delete data from one table in an access database via an application on a mobile device.
My understanding is I could have an application installed on the computer/server to link to the access database. From there I could have a web service running on a hosted web server (client doesn't want IIS etc on their own server). The application on the local computer/server would check for requests from the web server and pass the data back to it.
On the mobile device there would be an application (want to be able to access the devices camera and gps etc so thats why I want the application and not just a webpage.)
This application would allow the user to login (the logins would be stored on a database on the web server so we can control access to it) when the login is valid they would have a form which will allow for a user to edit/add/delete a record.
When adding it would just push the record(xml format?) to the webserver, the application on the computer/server check for files on the web server and would process it (write it to the specified database).
When editing there would be a search screen on the mobile device which would pass the requesting data via the webservice to the application on the computer/server which in turn would query the access database and push the data back to the web service, which the mobile application would then read.
I'm just wondering if I'm on the correct path in regards to doing this or is there a much easier way. Also how should the data be transferred? Should it just create xml text files stored on the webserver and have the desktop application constantly check for any new files?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back