Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Understanding RIP config. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdecker

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hi,

I seem to be having difficulty understanding the CISCO documentation for configuring RIP on routers.

Following the CISCO documentation at
I can not seem to get my routers to share the routing information. Here is my topology:

192.168.1.0 214.4.4.0
Network ---[ RA ]----[ RB ]----[ RC ]--Network
\10.16.10.152
Network

(Please dont worry about the 214.4.4.0 network not being private, thats not the issue here, thx :)

I want all networks to be able to communicate with each other. I can do this with IP Routing directly, however for learning, and experimental purposes, im trying to do this with RIP. I have rip enabled on each router but im not sure if im using the "network " command correctly. For example, here are the router rip configs :

RA:
router rip
network 192.168.1.0

RB:
router rip
network 10.0.0.0

RC:
router rip
network 214.4.4.0

When I turn Rip Debugging on all the routers, only RB will show anything, and its just sending v1 updates.

All interfaces on all routers are configured for ver1 rip. What am I missing? Any example configs that someone could post for me? Thank you for any help.

I may be a little confused by your diagram, but are you sure all your routers are advertising all the networks that they know about?

From your config, router B must know of at least two networks, but is only advertising one?

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

So my question in response would be, what exactly is the argument for the "network " command? is it supposed to be the network that That router has on its interface?

RB is connected directly to a network through one of its ethernet interfaces, and it is also connected to RC through another, however its not directly connected to the last network (214.4.4.0) as that network is connected to RC through one of RC's ethernet interfaces.

so how do i properly use the network command?

As a general rule of thumb, you should turn rip on for each network that your router has connections. For example. If your router has two serial interfaces and one ethernet interface you should turn rip on each one. Here is a brief example of a config using all private networks...one for each interface

config t
router rip
network 10.0.0.0
network 172.16.0.0
network 192.168.0.0

The 10.x.x.x network being the ethernet, 172.x.x.x being the serial 1, and 192.x.x.x being serial 0 for example. That's every interface the router has. You should do this for each network your router touches. Hope this is clear.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

pdecker,
Your networks will not be able to talk to each other unless your routers have an interface into a common network. Your network should be designed like ...

192.168.1.x 172.16.1.x 214.4.4.x
[RA]----------[.1][.3]-------[RC]
[.2]
|
|
[RB]
10.16.10.x

Each router should have an interface, whether its a serial or second ethernet interface with an of 172.16.1.x (or whatever network you want to use). Your routers can effectively talk to each other through this common network and then you can then advertise the other networks as required for rip:

RA
router rip
network 192.168.1.0
network 172.16.0.0

RB
router rip
network 10.0.0.0
network 172.16.0.0

RC
router rip
network 214.4.4.0
network 172.16.0.0