Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Two NICS & Two subnets???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
NT'ers:
We had a system failure on an NT 4.0 workstation and we had to replace the system. We used a disk image program to copy the original disk to a new disk assuming all but the drivers would be the same.

The system has an on-board LAN adapter and a PCI LAN adapter, each plugged into a switch but each on a different subnet talking to two different networks.

One each adapter's properties we defined the appropriate gateway and we can ping various points on each network. We can make connections to devices on each network and devices on those networks can connect to the NT system OK. We can even map a drive to a system on one of the subnets.

However, when we use IE to access the Internet through the gateway of one of the subnets it won't go -- it just times out. There is no "unreachable" message, just a timeout.

I noticed that the DNS seems to be defined in a central TCP/IP area not specific to either adapter.

When I display the routes with route print or netstat -rn it appears that the route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 has a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 which is the correct gateway for the Internet.

Based on this explanation can anyone think of what else I could check to make this work as before? Thanks in advance.

Bob

Try pinging an internet address like 66.218.71.198 (yahoo.com). If you get a reply then you know its DNS. Do tracert to that address to get an idea where its failing. Make sure in the browser settings under connection that its not looking for a proxy server.
Try unplugging from one subnet .... test. Reconnect,unplug from other subnet ...... test. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back