Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Twin-Ax printer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHeadedStepITChild

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2007
US
I have two 4234 IBM printers (one is a model 12 and the other is a model 2) that have sat idle (turned off, and disconnected from the system) for quite some time while an office was being renovated.

Upon hooking the twin-ax back to the printers and turning them on, I am not able to succesfully start the writers on the AS400.

When attempting to start either of these printers I get a message: ID CPA3387 - Writer PRT04 cannot use device PRT04 because the device is not powered on, varied on, or is in use by another job.

I am not getting any line sync errors. The device is on. I have varied on the printer. It always says "VARY ON PENDING" however. I have checked polarity on the twin-ax. I have varified port and switch addresses being correct. Still getting the message.

My thought was to completely delete these printers from the system and "re-install" them. My question is.....how do I do this?

I have no problem setting up an OUTQ or creating the device (CRTDEVPRT), but in researching this problem I have ran across this "autoconfiguration" thing a few times. Should this program be setting up the printer? If so, how do I make it do that?

Am I missing something? Something else I should check out?

Let me know

Thanks,

Jason

Delete the printers:
WRKCFGSTS *DEV printername
Select option 2=Vary off
Select option 8=Work with description
Select option 4=Delete

Check systen value QAUTOCFG is turned on:
WRKSYSVAL QAUTOCFG
Select option 2=Change
Make sure value is '1' for 'On'

Connect your printers and power them on. The iSeries should create and configure the printers. They should get a name of PRTxx. If they are created, you can vary them off and rename them.

You may want to turn off QAUTOCFG to avoid miscellaneous devices from being auto configured.

Hope this helps.

LKMALEE,

Yuppers, worked perfectly! It was the sysval, qautocfg...it was set to 0. I just didn't know what the command was to turn it on.

Thanks a bunch! Made me look really good today :) haha

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back