Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with tty1A

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorel

MIS
Jun 15, 2004
When I attempt to look in Terminal Manager for tty1A it answers it does not exits, so I attempted to create it but then I get the following error message:
"can not update system default database: tty1A"

I have tried to find the solution for this error in several locations, including SCO web page to no avail.

Can anyone one give me some ideas?

Thanks

Joe

SCO UNIX 5.0.7

tty1A is for a modem on the COM1 port.
you may consider mkdev serial

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV:
Thanks for your response
When we build the server for our clients we do the mkdev serial, the problem is that when we try to access the system from a dial up, the modem will not connect, and when we check the system by going to scoadmin > system > Terminal manager > examine and enter tty1A the response is that it does not exist. Usually, when we find this condition we go ahead and create it and 99% of the time it works fine, However, we have 2 clients that when we attempt to do this we get the error stated in the question.
I am assuming (Of course you know what assuming means) that there is a database that is either corrupted or with the wrong permissions, but I have not been able to find which is the one I need to check.

Thank you again phv, in the past you have help me quite a bit.

Joe

My response is based on earler 5 versions so it may not apply.

During boot up the OS reports some basic hardware that was built into the kernel. Does your machine identify the serial ports? In the earlier versions this is preserved in a log file, /usr/adm/messages. Any error messages showing for the serial port hardware?

In the build, there are tty entries created in /dev. Normally there are entries there for any serial ports that have been identified. Do you have /dev/tty1a and /dev/tty1A shown in the original builds?

I do not know of any database, the following file is the master location for the definition for serial devices:

/etc/conf/init.d/sio

Every time the system boots, this file is used to create entries in the /etc/inittab file.

Hope this helps...

The system does identify the serial ports while is rebooting and this information is listed in the /usr/adm/messages file.
The /etc/conf/init.d/sio file has both entries (tty1a and tty1A) I have compared the entries with a system that works fine and they are identical.
I have checked the inittab file and again the entries are setup as they are supposed to.
tty1A is enable and tty1a is disable.

I still doing more research in my books and the internet, but so far I have not found an answer

Joe

Please post the /etc/inittab entry for tty1A.
Also, show the entries in /dev for tty1a and tty1A.

Code:
# cd /dev
# l tty1[aA]
crw-rw-rw-   1 bin      bin        5,128 Oct 27  2006 tty1A
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       5,  0 May  9  2003 tty1a
# grep tty1 /etc/inittab|grep -v sc_m
Se1a:234:off:/etc/getty tty1a m
Se1A:234:respawn:/etc/getty -t60 tty1A 9

It doesn't surprise me at all that Terminal Manager is inconsistent. That part of "scoadmin" is a left-over from the earlier 4.2 days. Your problem could just be a missing gettydefs entry or a hardware (modem/serial port/cable) issue.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Are you using a fixed baud rate on the modem port or the floating rates? This is the last character in the line beginning SeiA in motoslides chart, in his case a gettydef token of 9.

I have run across issues in 4.2 and 5.0 thru 5.5 where modem issues have forced me to get UUCP up with ACU and dir entries for specific devices and the /etc/gettydefs rotating baud rates (entries 1 to 3) set as wanted rates and pointing back at themselves. In the specific cases, the UUCP entries force the modem reset on boot and after every hangup.

If you set the UUCP Devices file correctly you can use "cu" to access the modem to see what the internals are set for.

The only differences in the /dev files are the date in which it was created and the permissions, 640 for tty1A and 666 for tty1a.
For the inittab file the difference is in the speed of tty1A which is set to 19200

Thanks for the help

Joe

Another problem I've encountered can occur if you are logged onto the system on the modem and you restart CRON (or VisionFS).
That's a long shot, but try this command:

# fuser /dev/tty1a
and
# fuser /dev/tty1A

If you see a process that is active on either port, verify that it is just the getty process.

Of course, if that were the cause, a simple reboot would also have resolved the problem.

Is your modem set to suppress command ECHO and result codes?

The default gettydefs entry for 19200 doesn't look like something I'd run on a modem port.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

After discussing the problem with another UNIX expert in my company, we reached the agreement that the problem resides in the com port of the motherboard. This is a relatively old server (about 4 years). The client was notified that, since they need to upgrade anyhow in order to use our new software, let us go and order a new server. The client has agreed to do this.

Thanks to all you that took the time to answer my question.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back