Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with TCP/IP Port Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirre777

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2004
US
I setup a 4 PC lab here at work for our residents to use. I had a brand new EMachines computer and bought 4 new Dell PCs. All have Vista Home Premium. I also have a nice Lanier network printer. All 4 computers have been given the Vista net driver for the printer and configured using a TCP/IP port. The 3 new Dell's print like a charm. The EMachines will not print to it though. It can ping the IP of the printer fine, it just won't print. I have compared EVERYTHING to the Dells and it all matches up. The TCP/IP port, the port settings, Network and Sharing all match up, I have turned off the firewall and tested, workgroup name matches. Another odd thing with the Emachines. On all 4 pcs I have installed AVG AV. The Dells connected the the update site fine. The Emachines refuses to connect to the AVG update site. All other websites are fine. I even tried turning the firewall off and connecting but to no avail. I have even doubled checked all the installed Windows services between the Dell and Emachine and they all match.

I'm out of ideas! You guys think of anything?

What other security type programs are running on the Emachine?

Do you have any connection via "Safe Mode with Networking"?

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Troubleshoot network printer problems

Troubleshoot problems finding computers on a home network

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

What errors, if any, appear in the Event Viewer?

Here is an odd problem that sometimes rears its ugly self.

Got Network issues and nForce Chipset...
thread1583-1437402

The only security on it is AVG, identical to the other machines. I can't get a connection in safe mode either. Come to think of it I think it does have an Nforce chipset (seen the NVidia icon in taskbar but integrated graphics) so that might be something to look into. Next time I'm in there I'll check in BIOS and see if its got a chip level hardware firewall.

Next time I'm in there I'll check in BIOS and see if its got a chip level hardware firewall.
sometimes the BIOS will not reveal this information, at least not on my system...

I would suggest to go ahead and get a cheap NIC and try it then...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back