Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with standard deviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

peggall

Programmer
Nov 16, 2006
US
I need to get the standard deviation of the number of orders written by location. I have a running total field to count the orders per location and I also created a formula field to count the total orders per location. I also have a formula that will give me the average number of orders per location.

I have tried writing a formula for the standard deviation using either the running total field or the formula field and with both I get an error, "This field cannot be summarized."

I am against a hard deadline and need some help. Please.

The standard deviation (population or sample) is one option in the summary dropdown list for both running totals and for the more usual summaries (right click on the field->insert summary).

-LB

I have seen the dropdown for the standard deviation in the running totals formulas but my running totals field does not appear for me to select. I am not quite sure what you are referring to by: (right click on the field->insert summary).

Why are you using running totals for the counts? I wonder if they are necessary. Please explain exactly how they are set up. There may be an alternative to using running totals.

Regarding inserting summaries--just to show you, pick some amount field and add it to the detail section. Then right click on it->insert summary and select a summary.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back