Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with setup of remote desktop connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnorrint

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2007
US
I am trying to setup my laptop for remote connection to my office desktop. The office network is wireless and the internet connection is shared through another machine in my office. I have run through the steps and made sure that all settings are correct. I attempted to set this up while at the office today and it worked fine, however, once I left the office the connection did not work. Is the IP address I use on my laptop that of my desktop machine or the wireless router? I also read something about forwarding TCP 3389 to the internal IP of my computer but I am not sure of what this means or if it applies to me.

When outside your office network, you'll need to use the public IP address of your internet gateway. You'll need to forward port 3389 through every NAT device between the internet & your office computer (I said it that way specifically because I'm not sure I understand how your office network is set up).

So would that be the default gateway?

Whatever device connects your local network to the public internet. This could be a hardware router or proxy server (internet sharing computer).

My office shares an internet connection which goes through a DSL modem then through a wireless router. Neither of these devices is directly connected to my machine.

Then in this case the gateway would be the DSL modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back