Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with setting up tape library and media pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

frdba

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
US
We are using BAB r11.5 sp3 build 4402. We have a brand new tape library - Dell 124T. We have 16 slots. 1-15 are LTO2 tapes and slot 16 is the cleaning tape. I have setup a backup job that runs off a rotation schedule - 5-day weekly full backup with GFS enabled. The job created 3 media pools. When I look at the device it shows 15 tapes belonging to GROUP0 and all are labeled <Marked Blank Media>. All tapes in the library are brand new blank tapes.

When I try to execute the job I get the errors

W3550 Failed to connect to media.(MEDIA=<BLANK> [S/N: ],SEQ=0,EC=CAN NOT FIND THE TAPE TO BE CONNECTED)
N5940 Please mount one of the following media in device group GROUP0:
N5942 1. 4/09/08 10:30 PM [S/N:,SEQ:1] FRDBSR1_DLY
N5941 2. <BLANK>
N5929 Job will be cancelled in 5 minute(s).
W3550 Failed to connect to media.(MEDIA=<BLANK> [S/N: ],SEQ=0,EC=CAN NOT FIND THE TAPE TO BE CONNECTED)
E3831 Unable to find any media that can be used in this job.

I thought that since all tapes were blank that the job would automatically pull one to complete the job. I tried assigning a tape to the scratch set of the daily pool to see if it would write to it, but I get the same errors. Can someone give me direction on how to get this working?

Thanks

OK, so I figured it out. I thought that since the tapes were showing as <Marked Blank Media> that it meant the tapes were seen as blank (you know since they are brand new). I decided to do an erase on all the tapes in the library and they started showing up as <Blank Media>. My job now runs.

This is a result of the Device Configuration option Set Unknown Media As Blank.

Thanks for the explanation! This is my first time working with a tape library. I remember selecting that option, guess I didn't realize what that really meant. Little by little I'm figuring out and understanding more about it.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back