Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Select statement based off of Date Range Parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

torolimon

Technical User
Oct 30, 2008
US
I have a table that captures patients that belong in a registry with a START_DATE field and an END_DATE field. I've added a Date range parameter {?Date Range} so I can run this report for whatever date range requested.

I'm struggling to write a select statement that will include the patients that belonged to the registry during the date range selected because all active patients have the default date 12/31/9999. Any ideas on how this can be done?

Now is that default date for the start_date or end_date or both? Also if that date is in one or both of the fields, what action do you want to take (basically I working up to creating a formula to deal with the exceptions)?

Default date is only for the End_Date.

If I'm running the report for the Date Range 11/1/16 to 11/30/16, I want to capture all patients that their START_DATE and END_DATE fall within that range.

Your posts are a little unclear. I have interpreted the request to mean patients in the registry at any time during the parameter date range. This would include patients where:
[ul]
[li]{START_DATE} earlier than the range start date and the {END_DATE} after the range start date[/li]
[li]{START_DATE} and {END_DATE} both within the range[/li]
[li]{START_DATE} earlier than the range end date and the {END_DATE} after the range end date[/li]
[li][/li]
[/ul]

The following code should work:
Code:
(
	{START_DATE} < MINIMUM({?Date Range}) and
	{END_DATE}   > MINIMUM({?Date Range})
)
or
(
	{START_DATE} = {?Date Range} and
	{END_DATE} = {?Date Range}
)
or
(
	{START_DATE} < MAXIMUM({?Date Range}) and
	{END_DATE}   > MAXIMUM({?Date Range})
)

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Pete

If you're looking for all patients served during a period it's a little different that that. Something more like:

{START_DATE} <= MAXIMUM({?DATE RANGE})
AND (ISNULL({END_DATE}) OR {END_DATE} >= MINIMUM({?DATE RANGE}))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back