Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with second raid controller in single server

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHohn

Programmer
Aug 30, 2001
US
My company bought a Compaq ML350 with a Smart Array 431 connected to 4-18 GB Compaq drives, a little over a year ago. Who'd of thought we would run out of space so soon?

So, I thought of upgrading the 4 drives with 36 GB drives. But it doesn't make much sense to replace brand new drives just for space.

So, my super suggested we use the Proliant Storage System from an older server and install the Smart-2 Array controller into the new ML 350 Server along side the 431 controller.

I am green, no doubt about it. I am reading the manuals. But am afraid to install becuase I might mess up what is in place.

Would you please share with me your concerns? And what I should watch out for? Is there any way I can blow out the existing array by installing the second controller? Is there a boot order I will need to set in Bios? Will NT boot up and recognize the new array? How do I configure the older array? Will that blow out the existing array?

I'd like this to go smoothly, and I certainly do not want to break what is already in place. Thank you.

First and foremost, do not start anything without 2 known good backups. Test restore your data to be sure.

Next, what OS are you using? Things work a little differently in the Novell world than the NT world.

You should be able to put the controller in and have it come up without problems, but will need to load the correct driver. We did that once here without problem on an older server than the ML you are working on. Compaq (HP) should have documentation on their web site that will help. The big question is: Is the SMART 2 compatible with the ML? Some controllers will not work. Try calling Compaq (1-800- OK COMPAq or a reseller for more advice. Start by spending some time at the Compaq web site first.

Thank you for the reply Beaghler. We have NT. Everything is up and running. I did however have trouble during POST with the SMART-2 card. A warm reboot would bring up a 101-option erro. But, with the rompaqs to update the SMART-2 and ML350 BIOS we are in good shape now.

Thanks again.

Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back