Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with running total

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrome9

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
US
I'm new to Crystal Reports and can't seem to get my report to sort the records by running totals. I can sort by name, employee id, quantity, price, and everything else except running total. Why is this? and what can I do?

Can you give a better idea of what you are doing. What do you mean by sorting by running totals. Is this a field in the table, a formula, ...? Have you tried doing a topN sort or anything like that>

There is a lovely diagram of all the processes that happen during the processing of a Crystal report - p 660 of the CR8.5 manual, and well towards the back of the earlier manuals.

It is mainly to explain when to WhileReadingRecords and WhilePrintingRecords, but can also explain why you can't do summaries of summaries, or sort by running totals.

Running Totals are calculated late into the processing cycle - after the records have been sorted. Can you use a sumamry field instead and then a TopN or SortN on that summary? Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back