Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with requesting logon for a database....not all databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmo

Technical User
Jan 15, 2001
AU
I am very new at working with workgroups in access and maybe the answer to my query is quite simple.
I have created a database that I require to be secure. When joining a workgroup and activitating the password. All databases request a logon. I only want the one database to request. I have added a specific workgroup in the shortcut which achieves what I want but this is unsecure as individuals can bypass the shortcut and run the database direct therefore using the default workgroup.
Is there a way of assigining a workgroup specifically to a database.

PMO

There is only way that I know that is the most secure form, and that is to create a simple front end utility that starts the access database you want secured with the name of workgroup file embedded in the shell command line.

If you know how to do this in C, or C++, or VB, that's probably the best route. That way your workgroup file can be unknown from other workgroup files because no one will be able to view the command line options.

Try the command:

shell(&quot;msaccess.exe <database name> /w <workgroup.mdw>&quot;,#)

A technique that I have used is to change the file extension to a different extension type. As long as the workgroup file is in the proper format, the file extention is not important.

What this means is that you can create a front end database applications which everyone can access, and from that application all of the security can be embedded within global procedure. Global procedures are secured by creating an .mde file. Be sure to use a procedure either in a form or a global module. Macros are not compiled nor secured.

Hope this helps.

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back