Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with RAM (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasche

MIS
Aug 14, 2002
US
I took time to read through some of the postings on here about the different types of RAM but am still lost. I am looking to upgrade my RAM (I think). No idea what type of RAM I should get, or how I tell what RAM works with the stuff I already have. I don't want to install RAM and come across the problems I read in this forum! Any info would be great.

System:
Dimension 4500 Pent. 4 1.8GHz
XP Home running Office XP
256 MB DDR SDRAM
64 MB GeForce MX Graphics Card
SB Live! 1024 Digital Sound Card
Norton Anti-Virus Software (2003)

Basically I want to upgrade to speed everything up. I heard XP runs a lot smoother with more RAM. I spend a lot of time on internet, playing games, and downloading stuff. Also use Adobe Suite and Movie Maker quite frequently. Looking for suggestions on what the next step would be for a reasonable price. Thanks in advance.
Lucas

I recommend purchasing name brand from a reputable vendor like Crucial ( or Kingston ( Both have online configurators to help guarantee that the RAM you buy is 100% compatible with your system.

If you decide to go with Kingston, use their configurator then go out to to find the best prices for the model number you found. Kingston often charges you more if you buy from them direct. Crucial, on the other hand, doesn't rely on 3rd-party vendors and gives you the good price up front.

Good luck!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back