Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Project Timeframe

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousRex

Programmer
Sep 4, 2003
US
I am in a position that I've never been in before...needing to give a time frame on a project.

The project is a new application to replace an existing 3rd party application we use (Tenrox). Its a project time tracking software, where they will need the functionality of entering the time (daily) an employee worked on a project and be able to report on it. I will also need to convert/copy the existing data from the old app to the new app.

I will be using .NET. I know there are starter packs out there, but assume they do not fit my need and this is a total ground up custom application.

I know alot more information is needed to give a real time frame, but based on some of your past experiences what do you see as a reasonable time frame?

Things to keep in mind:

I am the only developer at this company (its me and a network admin who knows nothing about development), I handle supporting all existing apps and all the DBA duties. So from planning to completion its all me.

Hi,
I developed such a tool, it is called DeltaProd.

You can download it a It is completely free.
So feel free to get all the ideas you can.

Also, I wrote this tool in VB. It is VB 6, not .net, but if you wish, I can send you few lines of code, or else.
Just request...

Good luck for your work.
Babynus.
Moderator of (Yet Another Project Management Tool)

Hi Rex,

On your dilemma at hand for project delivery, I'd recommend the following.

First, assure you know the scope of work to be completed. Bullet up a couple of the items and have an authority figure agree this is what is needed.

Afterwards, consider how much time you have to devote to the project. Sounds like you are around 16 hours a week, but i'm estimating.

See if you can deliver a foundation to start and then add in other functions. Develop a list with steps around design, discussions, program, test, release. Then repeat again with the next release. Examining those tasks put in the amount of time you think it will take. Summarize, add in a little cushion, and you have your effort. Consider each week you have 16 hours to devote to the project, so for example if you have 36 hours of work effort. It will take you 2.25 weeks. This last will give your duration based upon 16 hours a week to dedicate to the project work.

Hope this helps,
Elyse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back