Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with PMP Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekGoldman

Technical User
Mar 21, 2011
US
So I've been looking around and learning more about the PMP certification process. (This website, on PMP certification has in particular been fairly helpful)

It seems interesting, but I really wonder if it is worth it. The test is like $500 and does not seem easy, so will likely take A LOT of preparation.

Is it worth it? Do people here have experience with it?

Thanks! :)

I took the test in June 2010, which was based on the 4th Edition of PMBOK. Even after more than a dozen years of Prj Mgmt, and several months of studying an hour or two a day, there were still questions on the test that I had no idea about. But I passed, and was at least "Moderately Proficient" in all areas.

I asked PMI if I could forego the PDU (Continuing Education) credits and just take the exam again in 3 years, but they don't allow it. So, if you're worried about the exam, study hard and pass, because you'll never have to do it again. A word of caution, though......if you're only taking the exam for the "credential", think twice.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

While the test is $500, you should include the cost of a course as well. I believe you still must have "35 contact hours" of training before writing the exam. Although that can be almost any kind of Project Management training, it should really be a PMP Prep course (most of them are set to take the full 35 hours) because the exam focuses on the PMBOK and it's the PMBOK that will be your answer "source" for exam questions ... *not* your real life experience.

You should also factor in the cost of obtaining the necessary number of PDUs (professional development units) every three years. You will get some PDUs from Project Management related work experience each year but you need to get others in order to reach your 60 total. You can get some for teaching courses and some for writing articles and some from self-directed education but you'll still find that you'll likely need to take some courses.

Finally, you should look at the cost tradeoffs of PMI membership (plus local chapter membership). You do not need to be a member of PMI to write the exam but you will likely (I haven't done the cost comparison for several years) find that there's a net trade of close to $0 when you look at the higher charge for non-PMI members to write the exam versus the lower charge for PMI members to write the exam but then having to include the annual dues for PMI membership.

I have my PMP.

Microsoft PMP Certification is supposedly one of the toughest exam among all. However, a thorough knowledge of demand management, portfolio management, intelligence & reporting, among other project capabilities helps in passing it. As mentioned by Johnherman, although these kind of resources helps a lot in prepping for the PMP exam but practical experience is what really matters and helps tremendously in successfully clearing it. Microsoft assists in certified project management training through extensive training materials and on-demand professional assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back