Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalapeno

MIS
Nov 12, 2001
US
Alrighty, I messed up. A couple years ago, I took ownership of all the files in our home share.

Now we want to implement quotas.

I used subinacl.exe to reset ownership to the proper user. So that part is fixed. But when a user copies a file to thier respective folder, the owner is administrator. Kinda puts a kink into the quota system. Is there something I'm missing to make the owner of new files the user? Some kind of inheritance?

thanks!

From what I understand, you can't give ownership to someone else. They have to have a delegated user right to take ownership and then they have to actually take ownership of the file. You can either pass out the instructions on how to do it with a list of files per user, or you can login as each user and do it yourself.

Hope this helps. Catadmin - MCSA

Well, officially, that's what MS says but they also have the tool subinacl that allows you to assign ownership to someone else.

I've already used this to reset ownership.

But when the user copies files to thier directory, it assigns ownership to administrator. Is there something I'm missing? I need the owners to be properly assigned for quotas.

Thanks!

You keep saying the user is copying the file, not actually moving the file. Is there a reason why they would only copy it and you would not move it (such as multiple users need access)?

There's something in my memory about attributes on a copied file as opposed to a moved file, but I can't quite grab onto it at the moment. Let me think on this.

Catadmin - MCSA

Catadmin, info for you (sorry i cannot help on the file ownership part)

if you copy files to another folder it inherits the permissions of that folder

if you move the files to another location it retains its permissions (pointers underneath are merely redirected)

if you move files to another partition it inherits the permissions of that folder (the moving in reality is a copy then delete action) "Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Sorry to bump but this still has me puzzled. Why aren't files copied/moved to the file server owned by the user?

The home folder itself is owned by the user but when they copy a file in, it is owned by administrator.

There's got to be a way otherwise quotas would be useless.

Thanks.

- erm - i cant find any postings for the problem that i have but i think its a common one - my network consists of a multiple of servers some 2k some NT4 however my profiles are held on an NT4 box. what happens is, a user would log in under 2000 (no problems) then they log out and roam to an NT4 box log in (no problems). But, when they log back in to the 2000 box the workstation will report that it has no access to the profile. To fix this i take ownership of the said profile on the server and the problem is fixed, but not really cos when they perform the above task again i have to re-establish ownership.....is there a permanent fix??

if I understand correctly from the last posting

users are using roaming profiles held on a server and either log onto a win2000 or NT4 workstation

is this correct? if so then I may know what your problem is "Work to live, don't live to work"

yup - thats right.......my mate also has the same problem on his network!! it sounds like a common thing - but i cant find anything on it!!

look forward to hearing from you - this has been the "bain" - "if thats how you spell it" of my life at the moment, cos users keep buggering up their profiles....

Well, we don't use roaming profiles.

As I stated above, our problem is when users copy files to the file server the owner becomes administrator. The user's home folder is owned by them however. It makes quota's useless.

Ah - but your problem is slightly different to mine - your using quotas mines a profile problem although i guess the principle is the same.....just waiting on immacola!

Possibly....in both cases the user is putting a file on a server and the file seems to inherit administrator as an owner...somehow.

Jalapeno are you using NFTS on the servers drives?

Best practice for using profiles

if you have users who go from one pc to another pc etc and all these pcs use the same operating system ie all XPs for example then roaming profiles is fine

If you have a user who goes from xp to win98 then win2000 then back to win98 etc, well I am afraid you are going to corrupt the roaming profile in use. The profile structures etc are just too different to be handled correctly

unless you can guarantee that a user will stick to the same operating system the best practise is to keep the profiles local to the pc (and not use roaming profiles) and explain that this is company policy due to corruption when crossing O/S platforms

"Work to live, don't live to work"

not sure about your problem

but the general rule is
1. if you create a file you are the owner
2. you can "take" ownership not "give" it
3. if you copy files to another folder as said above you inherit the folder/files permissions of that folder but you still own the file ie you are still the author/creator, if I am not mistaken.

you could try blocking inherited permissions? that may be angle to go for "Work to live, don't live to work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back