Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Oracle Functions for a SQL Server dummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaymc

Programmer
Apr 24, 2003
GB
Hi, I'm fairly new to Oracle, although I've used SQL Server for years.

I'm currently producing a horrible little Crystal report where I'll need to pass parameters to a sql function and have it return the data I need -- Not just a value or a row but 10 or 12 rows.

Now with SQL server it was pretty easy to write a function, without having to come to grips with any nasty cursors, and have it return a table: Just pop in your query, add a header for the parameters and get it to return the results of your query. Not much more than a fancy view.

If only the same were true of Oracle.

By playing with a few examples I've worked out how to write simple cursors which return rowtypes, but that's where I've hit a brick wall.

So my question is this, how can I write a function to pass a few parameters and which will then return multiple rows, without having to become a PL/SQL cursor wizard overnight? Is there an easy and obvious solution that I am missing?

I'm not familiar with Crystal, but your procedure may be like

Code:
create function getTableData(pTable in varchar2)
return sys_refcursor
is
result sys_refcursor;
begin
  open result for 'select * from '||pTable;
  return result;
end;

Remember that this function is quite dangerous as it alows anybody granted to execute it to query any of your tables.

Regards, Dima

One more note: in pre-9i sys_refcursor type is not available so you should define your own ref cursor type in some package specification.

Regards, Dima

Thanks so much Dima!

You got me looking in the right direction and after a bit of fiddling I got my refcursor working with crystal.

You, sir, are a lifesaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back