Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with NOD 32 And Spysweeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1110

Programmer
Apr 20, 2005
US
Hi,

I have NOD32 installed on my windows 7 64 bit pc I just got. The program says it is anti virus and anti spyware. Is this program good enough if I also use windows defender? I also have Webroot's SpySweeper and when I put it on my new computer, it takes about a minute longer to boot up and when I download a file it takes longer to complete because it is sweeping the file.

Thanks,

Mark

Rather than using Windows Defender or Webroot's SpySweeper, give Microsofts Security Essentials a try, its free, I have been using it on several machines along with my antivirus & I am quite happy with this setup.

xit

xit,

I was under the impression that Microsoft Security Essentials is an antivirus app, which would eliminate the need for another AV. So, does it work alright alongside say AVG, Avira, Avast, etc?

mark1110,

One piece you didn't mention is a firewall. You say you're running Windows 7 64 bit? I'd highly recommend installing Comodo Internet Security - be sure to choose the 64 bit version. It's next to none on 64 bit editions of Windows. Once Online Armor finally gets 64 bit support nailed down, I might go with them, and that sounds like it'll be sometime the 1st half of this year.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Hi,

I have a netgear 3300 router as a firewall.

Well Microsoft Security Essentials is for virus, spyware & malware protection all in one. The one thing I noticed is no sign of slow down on any systems. I run it along side of say AVG or any other but stand alone on some systems which worked well also.

xit

@xit:

I might have to take a look at it in that regard. I've read about running more than one "antivirus" app before, but there are usually a lot of concerns out there. So long as it can run without causing conflicts with another, I might give it another try sometime - maybe.

@mark1110

A hardware firewall (router) is the most important piece of protection, in my opinion, but in our day you still need more than that. The software firewall is another important piece in the overall security. I've seen some nasty viruses make believers out of several people - who had routers w/built-in firewalls. [wink]

--

kjv1611, you mentioned Online Armor firewall, I have been testing it on a 32 bit Windows 7 system & I am impressed with it. When set up properly it is clearly ahead of most competitors.

xit

Oh yeah, it's an amazing firewall. I run it on any 32 bit system (my preference), and Comodo on 64 bit systems. In tests published online (I forget the reference), Comodo was #1 in protection, and Online Armor was #2, but was practically tied. I should also point out it was "Comodo Internet Security", not "Comodo Firewall".

The reason, however, that I personally prefer Online Armor is it's ease of use and simplicity. Most of it just makes sense to me. It's MUCH easier to configure, in my opinion, than Comodo. However, as I've been waiting for Online Armor, I've gotten more comfortable with Comodo. I've learned some things over time that have made a big difference in usability.

--

I think we are getting off the subject here. I just want to know if NOD32 and windows defender for windows 7 is good enough to fend off spyware or would I need SpySweeper.

The firewalls I mentioned are specifically good b/c they also include a program control option. Basically, if it gets onto your PC, and runs, it'll have to go through the firewall before even installing.

So, you could have the latest and greatest antispyware product on your machine, and they'll still miss something.

Personally, I'd not use SpySweeper - that's just my opinion, though.

I'd use Nod32 like you're already using, Windows Defender as it's already installed anyway, and Comodo Internet Security. On Comodo, disable the antivirus, since you already have Nod32 running.

How else can I say it? I don't think you need SpySweeper, and I think it's far from the best antispyware/antimalware products on the market. Don't believe me, just do a Google Search on SpySweeper Review, yourself, and you'll know.

In the world of the web, you need to have at least these for security:
1. Hardware Firewall - check
2. Software Firewall - (not checked - yet)
3. Strong Antivirus - check
4. Good malware protection outside of AV is good to have, but probably not as important as the above three. If I were going to use any antimalware/antispyware products, I'd use any of the following:
1. Malwarebytes Antimalware - just for scanning
2. SuperAntispyware - protection and scanning
3. SpywareBlaster - protection only.

Then there are other options as well. You could check on your DNS server settings for your router. Are your DNS servers the most secure for your area? For instance, OpenDNS.org's DNS servers are often safer than those of most ISPs, or so I've read, and they generally perform as well or better than the ISPs - at least in my testing.

Another option? You could use a separate port blocker process other than the firewall. I've read of one called Protowall, though I've not tried it yet. It uses custom block lists to help protect your machine from any IPs you provide it via a list - I don't think you'd want to manually create one, there are those available on the web already preconfigured and updated regularly.

So, just depends upon how far you want to go, but minimum nowadays should be (if at all possible): Hardware firewall, software firewall, good antivirus app.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back