Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Netfinity 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatBigGeek

Technical User
Dec 21, 2006
CA
Hello,

I recently acquired a Netfinity 5000 server and plan to put it to use as a Proxy Server running WinProxy. There are a few small issues I'd like to resolve before I install the server.

1. I'd like to use IDE drives instead of SCSI. Problem is, the BIOS doesn't recognize the IDE HDD plugged into the spare IDE connector. The diagnostic tells me all the chracteristics of the drive, but the BIOS doesn't see it as a physial drive. Is there a way to make the system boot from an IDE drive vice a SCSI drive. I'm open to any suggestions - PCI IDE card, BOIS flash, etc.

2. Can someone provide me with the link for BIOS flash updates from IBM for a Netfinity 5000? I looked and kept getting redirected to other support pages.

3. The manuals ask for very specific ram for this system. Can I use any PC133 ram, or do I need to look for something specific?

Thank you very much - in advance for your help. This is my test project as I will be getting a Netfinity 5600 to replace my current NT server sometime in 2007.

You really want to use the scsi controller on this beast.
You really want to fill up the array.

I recently got given a Netfinity 5500 -- great big old beast. I got 6 35 GB 15,000 RPM SCSI 3 disks on ebay for $15 each, found carriers for $2 each, and filled it up.
Running a random database test with multiple threads I was able to get throughputs of 20 MB /sec -- which given that the typical write was only 64KB, is going some.

SCSI has several things going for it that are only just starting to come into the SATA world:

1. Connect/disconnect: The controller can issue a command
then disconnect. The drive can seek and then notifies the
controller when it has data. IDE can't talk to drive 2 while talking to drive 1.

2. Queued requests. A scsi device can accept multiple requests, either at once, or while other requests are in progress.

3. Smart access. The disk can change the order of reads and writes debpending on the current location of the heads.

4. RAID, either by the OS or in hardware.

IDE is ok for desktops. Servers tend to have a much more random access pattern. More spindles = faster average response time. With 6 disks, the average wait for the platter to spin to the right location is 1/6 of the time for a single disk. With out of order operations, the chances of a head being near the right spot to do one of the outstanding requests is much higher.

sgbotsford I am looking for the serverguide software for a netfinity 5500 can you help me. I am missing all the drivers for my system and cant get it going

I believe I have the CD your looking for.

ServeGuide about ver 6.x. I will check to see if the 5500 is on the hardware list.

Thanks

John Fuhrman
Titan Global Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back