Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with mystery text in flash file

Status
Not open for further replies.

trayb

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
US
I have a flash movie file in .swf format that was inherited from the previous programmer who left it protected and locked.

I located a utility on the web that allowed me to remove the password and protection, but when I try to save a new version as an .fla file it won't allow me. Instead I get a message that says &quot;An unknown error occurred while accessing <..filename>&quot;. Could this be because I'm using a bootleg utility to unlock the file?

What I'm trying to do is simply change 3 lines of text embedded somewhere in an 897 frame flash file (address change) When I look at the file with a text editor, of course everything else is just machine language but.. I can actually see the text for the address.

I'm pretty new to Flash...Does this mean the text is in some sort of action script or embedded format? The site is at Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Bad news: you cannot save an swf as an fla.

Good news: Flash is fun so rebuilding it will be a hoot!

frozenpeas

Maybe you could try using loadMovie() to bring the swf into another file... then place the new address on a level above the loaded movie? So you'd be just masking the old address behind the new one.

frozenpeas

So once a file is saved into .swf format, it can never be changed?

can only easily be changed by editing the fla then publishing again

can somewhat be edited by importing into an fla

but a swf cannot be edited on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back