Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with MSVCRT.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maelyna

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
CA
I have a problem with MSVCRT.dll

Each time i open an explorer window, it crashes a few second after.
Someone can help me ?

Beside, I tried a few things but it didn't work. I have done the extraction of the file with my Windows 98 CD.

Go into "search" and find all the copies of MSVCRT.dll. Some times when a new program is installed, it adds a new version of Windows files. The problem is, that this may not really be the problem! MSVCRT.dll is the "mother" of many "child" dll's. The last time I had a problem with this dll, it took e-mail back and forth with MicroShaft to figure it out. You may have to do a re-install of 98 over itself to solve this (won't hurt anything, but you will have to re-install all your Windows updates).

Hi, adding onto MIcker377's post, I had this recently also and I replaced the MSVCRT.dll file from the Windows CD it worked a treat and fixed the problems I was getting

The way I did it was to rename the current MSVCRT.dll to old and copy the one from the CD to the relevant directory

Bottomline is Micker377's post will work but if you would like to try a possible faster fix without reinstalling updates and are familiar with the above you could try that

Jamie

I've just done what you suggest Jamie and it didn't work unfortunately. So i guest i will be obligated to reinstall windows 98. But before that, will i loose everything on my computer (like word files, music ... ) ?

All other files should be OK. Just to be safe (with Windows, anything can happen), back up anything important. Especially "Address Book" and financial records (Quicken, Money, etc. You will have to go to Windows Update and re-install all updates. That's why the "Windows Security Update" CD is handy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back