Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with MotherBorad... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

idanraz

MIS
Feb 11, 2003
US
I'm trying to put together a new computer from scratch.
Connected the motherboard to the power, the cpu etc.
When I turn the power on the keyboard lights are all on and nothing happens...No beeps or any other sound (yes I connected the speaker to the MB).

Any ideas?

Thank you

Nick

The FSB jumper is in the right position? Paste is on the heatsink? Heatsink "sit" properly on the processor? Processor fan is "strong" enough?

Yes to all of your questions...
I had a problem with the power supply and had to replace it (didn't turn o nthe fans before) Now all the fans are on , the leds are on , No post and the keyboard lights are on and stay on...
Maybe the first PS damaged the MB??

Try to disconnect everything except video card. So only motherboard, processor, ram (only one, then change the other one), video card and keyboard. When that doesn't work it could be the motherboard.

I am trying to boot with no cards / memory at al , I should get an error beep from post ...no?
Nick Mualim

Well it shuld work...but who knows...It;s a brand new case with power supply , I allready had to go back to Fry's once to replace this case and it seems like I'll be visiting them tomorrow too.
Isn't it strange that the keyboard lights stay on??
Thank you for replying Nick Mualim

What happens when you start it up without the keyboard installed? Have put together many different systems and one thing in common: not all keyboards work with all motherboards. Would really like the answer to that one...

Have you tried the motherboard out of the case, with only video
card and one(1) stick of memory installed? Make sure the board sits on paper or cardboard, so as not to short it out. If it post ok out of case, you may be shorting in case with the brass standoffs

Thank you all for your help.

There were a few problems , the mothrboard was not working well and I replaced it.
The second problem was what Bebco said, when the board was in the case it wasn't working ...
Thank you for the quick answers!!
Nick Mualim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back