Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with MAX and ACCESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorrick

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
AU
I can't get this to work!

Train_No Station Passengers
8000 GER 100
8000 FRA 120
8000 ELA 80
9000 GER 25
9000 FRA 200
9000 ELA 50

All I want is to return the station and the passengers for each train where passenger is highest.
Therefore results are
8000>FRA>120 and 9000>FRA>200

Can this be done using simple Access queries. I tried grouping and using the max function on Passengers but it didn't work.
All help appreciated.

First post Access questions in the Access forums. So yours would be in Microsoft: Access Queries and JET SQL
You'll have to do two queries.
I'm assuming your tram table looks like this:
TramID Tram_No Station Passengers
It should have a primary key like I have - TramID
Create a query from this table. Place Tram_No and Passengers in the grid. Click on the Totals button (Sigma). Under Tram_No, it should say GroupBy. Under Passengers, change it to MAX. Run the query. You'll get 8000, 120 and 9000, 200.
Create under query. Use the first query as a source and use the original table as the second source. Manually connect Tram_No to Tram_No and MaxOfPassengers to Passengers. From the query source, bring Tram_No and MaxOfPassengers into the grid and Station from the table into the grid. Then when you run it, it'll show the result you want.

Unfortunately there is no primary key on the table, so this method doesn't work.

No. I mentioned a primary key because if your database was created correctly, every table would have a primary key. I am not using the primary key to achieve your answer. The rest of the steps work perfectly.
"Create under query" should read "Create another query". oops.

Train_no and Station is probably a valid compound primary key.

pbrodsky - correct. Toss up between a single field or multi field primary key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back