Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with laptop purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

z355

Technical User
Dec 13, 2003
US
Hi
I am planning on buying a laptop soon. I do graphic design/web design kind of work. Would I be better off buying a desktop computer and monitor instead because the laptop's screen quality is not that great because of the gel material that is in it. When I am creating and working with graphics in Photoshop, won't it be a problem to get a true representation? What kind of display features do designers look for when buying a laptop?? What do I do? Thanks for all help on this from all knowledgable people.

If you are doing professional quality graphics, then by all means stay away from LCD monitors. Of course, if portability is important, you can buy a laptop as well as a good quality CRT display, and hook the laptop up tot he display when doing critical graphics work.

The main problem with LCDs atthis time is that they are not easy to color calibrate, and require expensive software in order to calibrate. Adobe Gamma just will not cut it with an LCD.

If your graphics are destined for the web, and accurate color is not critical, then buy whatever you are most comfortable with.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

might try the forum602 also

[/sub]

I bought a Sony Vaio about a year ago. Frankly, I really like the LCD better than the TFT. You have to set the font yourself, which was a bit of a drag, but it only took me one day to figure it out.

I'm trying to work with Flash MX, and it's really hard to "get into it" with a laptop.

There's just something about having a workstation that makes for better working conditions, for me.

I like my laptop, but I'm buying myself a decent desktop with a good LCD monitor and a big, comfy desk.

Sager is making a pretty decent "tablet" notebook too, for about a $1000. Worth peeking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back