Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with lan card windows me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazosdeamigos

Programmer
Feb 19, 2004
GB
Help i have just installed a lan card on a friends pc under windows me. But it keeps showing up pci communications device found but there isnt a driver for it. when i first put the card in it said realtek hardware found and i installed the driver from the floppy disk but i still get the pci com thing any help please?

Try uninstalling any software for it, removing the hardware, then re-install the software/driver for the device, and install the hardware after. Also, if you have the brand and model of the lan card (which you should, if brand new), go to the manufacturer's website, and make sure you have the most up to date driver(s) for the product. Windows ME, like Windows 2000 and XP is supposed to automatically detect and configure devices, but sometimes does so inappropriately. Now, regardless of what it says, if it works, then your set. If it doesn't work, then you need to take these steps listed above. Regardless of whether it works or not, I would check for any updated drivers/software as applicable.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

Also try installing the network card in a different slot
That can make a difference at times too

I have had good luck with Linksys 10/100 network cards and found Linux likes them too. 3Com NIC cards can definitely be a pain in the neck.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back