Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Joins please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

seb2

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
US
Help! I'm not good at JOINs and would like to modify the following sql to allow for another scenario.

To understand better..... think of a 'Filing' as a Mailing... a 'Form' as the 'Mailed Item'.

tblFilingState (Id, FilingForm, State, etc) FilingForm fk to tblFilingForm.Id

tblFilingForm (Id, FormNumber, etc) FormNumber fk to tblForms.Number

tblForms (Number, Title, ParentFormNum, etc) Forms can have children, hense reference to the parent.

What I want to get is a list of all Forms who's 'Number' OR 'ParentFormNumber' equals tblFilingForm.FormNumber. The following line only gets the ones that match 'Number'.

FROM tblStateInfo INNER JOIN (tblForms INNER JOIN (tblFilingForm INNER JOIN tblFilingState ON tblFilingForm.Id = tblFilingState.FilingForm) ON tblForms.Number = tblFilingForm.[Form Number]) ON tblStateInfo.Abbr = tblFilingState.State
ORDER BY tblFilingState.State;

Anyone got suggestions? Need more information??? :)

Dear seb2

I did not check whether this is correct, but give it a try:

select tblfilingform.id, [whateverTable].[whateveryouwant]
FROM tblStateInfo,tblForms ,tblFilingForm ,tblFilingState where tblFilingForm.Id = tblFilingState.FilingForm
and tblStateInfo.Abbr = tblFilingState.State
and (tblForms.Number = tblFilingForm.[Form Number] or
ParentFormNumber= tblFilingForm.[Form Number])
ORDER BY tblFilingState.State

regards Astrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back