Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with interaction between modal and modeless forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphcarter

Programmer
Aug 8, 2006
US
I have a modal form that processes a design. From that form I launch a modeless form (do form) that contains an ole control that displays an autocad drawing of the design. I have 2 monitors so I would like to keep both forms up and move the modeless form to the "other" monitor and work on the design while looking using the drawing for a reference. I also need acess to the modeless form so I can manipulate the view of the drawing. As soon as I click on the original modal form then I no longer have access to controls on the child modeless form even to close the form until I close the modal form.
The modeless form has the desktop=.t. and the showWindow=2 as Top Level. I have attempted to play with variations on these two properties but cannot seem to get them to work.
Changing the modal form to modeless is not an option.

Thank you for your help

Ralph Carter
Programmer
QUESTware Corp.

If you need to move back and forth repeatedly between the two forms with them both concurrently open then you need BOTH forms to be modeless.

"Changing the modal form to modeless is not an option."
If the reason that you say that is that you do not want other non-associated forms to be opened, you can achieve that in a variety of other means such as disabling menu pull-downs and/or setting a global variable, etc.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Hi Ralph,

Changing the modal form to modeless is not an option.

How about making both forms top-level (ShowWindow = 2) and then doing _SCREEN.visible = .F. That way, only those two forms will be visible (so the user won't be able to switch to another part of the application), but you'll be able to move between the two forms with ease.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

The whole POINT of modal forms is that the user is required to complete the task at hand and is not allowed to go elsewhere until it's done. Sounds to me like you need to re-think your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back